Wine and Culinary Adventure in Slovenia 2016
May 28th, 2016 - June 4th, 2016
8 Days, 7 Nights
Embark on a unique culinary and wine adventure in Slovenia where we will explore the country’s rich gastronomic, historic, and natural heritage. Together we will travel across the picturesque countryside visiting farmer’s homes, small family wineries, markets, boutique spa centers, and exclusive restaurants located well outside the established tourist tracks.
Through your native guides Maja and Sanja you will gain access to winemakers that fully invest themselves into the art of crafting the world’s finest wines. The winemakers you will meet probably won't be in suits – they will be wearing straw hats and overalls, having just returned from the fields they work. They will probably have beards. The cellars we will enter aren't just tourist destinations – they are real, working cellars where time stops – cellars that few non-Slovenes have ever had the pleasure of entering.
As the sun sets over the vineyards, we move indoors to share food, wine, and conversation with farmers’ and winemakers’ families. We will eat at their homes, where delicious organic fruits, vegetables, and meats are grown and raised only a few feet away from where they are cooked. Many of the wines we drink are produced from indigenous grape varieties that will taste like nothing you've ever tried – rich, earthy, and nourishing, free from pesticides and preservatives. Our tastings often come straight from the barrels; wines that only a lucky few have ever tried. We will hike the vineyards, hearing the stories of the vines from the winemakers themselves through Maja’s expert translation.
We believe that the purpose of travel is to relax, indulge, and inspire the spirit, but it is also a time to learn new skills, to taste new flavors, and to think about yourself, your body, and your relationship with nature. With this in mind we have carefully crafted this adventure so that you will return with not only memories, but new cooking skills and exciting, inventive, and healthy recipes that you will be able to re-create at home to share with your friends and family.
- Taste the some of the world’s best wines in the actual vineyards where the grapes are grown – indigenous grape varieties are carefully cultivated by Slovenia’s winemakers and lovingly crafted into the very best artisanal organic and biodynamic wines.
- Immerse yourself in the rich gastronomic heritage of Slovenia as we visit farms and homesteads, all while eating organic foods grown by the farmers themselves.
- Meet with some of the world’s best artisanal winemakers at their homes and wineries with your own personal sommelier, wine educator, translator, and guide, Maja Roy.
- Experience the best of Slovenian culinary traditions – take cooking lessons on how to prepare traditional plant-based dishes under the guidance of professional chef Martin Rojnik at his home estate high in the Slovenian mountains.
- Learn the art of visual storytelling and food styling with an introductory class led by photographer and professional chef Danilo Ivanuša. He will teach you how to capture perfect culinary moments on camera so that you can take home beautiful pictures of the dishes you will get to taste on our trip.
- Marvel at the amazing architecture of Slovenia through the eyes of Sanja Djorčev, architect and co-founder of Wine Forté.
- Learn how to catch your own fish and enjoy the views of the sunny Adriatic sea on our privately-charted boat, during which a chef will prepare our catches for a picnic at sea.
- Relax and soak your body in thermal mineral baths at one of Europe’s premier spa and wellness centers.
LOCATION: Slovenia and bordering regions
WHAT: A wine and culinary adventure in the the countryside of Slovenia and surrounding areas with like-minded people.
DURATION: 8 Day, 7 Nights
FOR WHO: This trip is designed for people who are passionate about culinary discoveries, curious about local people and their everyday lives, and open to adventures and finding beauty in simplicity. Since wine is such an important part of Slovenia we will dedicate a great deal of time learning, tasting, and exploring different varieties and styles. This adventure isn’t only for wine aficionados – while plenty of incredible wines will be available, this trip will also focus on food, culture, and exploration.
YOUR GUIDES: Your guides, Wine Forté co-founders Maja and Sanja, are native Slovenians with a passion for wine, culinary arts, travel, wellness, and healthy cooking. With their in-depth knowledge of the country, its language, and its culinary heritage, the pair will give you a fully authentic experience of their homeland.
For more info read the About page.
HOW MUCH: $2800 pp.
The price is based on double occupancy of rooms - those requesting single rooms need to inquire for special pricing. A non-refundable deposit of $1000 per person is due no later than April 10th, 2016. The remaining $1800 is due on May 10th, 2016. We reserve the right to change due dates at our discretion at any time before the initial deposits are paid. We also reserve the right to cancel the tour and refund all amounts paid if the minimum tour size of six individuals is not met.
REGISTRATION DEADLINE: Until space is filled. The adventure is capped at 10 participants.
For full itinerary please click the button below or contact us directly by email at email@example.com.